Go to top of page

Hazardous Waste information

Australia has strict rules relating to the import, export and transit of hazardous waste to meet our international obligations, and protect people and the environment.

Under the Hazardous Waste (Regulation of Exports and Imports) Act 1989, the movement of hazardous waste into and out of Australia requires a valid permit issued by Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment (the Department). The export, import or transit of hazardous waste without a valid permit, or exemption if applicable, is an offence that carries severe penalties. These rules are enforced by the Australian Border Force and the Department.

Who will need a permit?

You will likely require a hazardous waste permit if you are a waste broker, agent, or dealer and you plan to export, import or transit hazardous waste for recovery operations or final disposal.

Important notice

  • If you are new to the hazardous waste permit application process, please contact the Hazardous Waste team before you start the application or pay the fee, as:
    • some movements of hazardous wastes are severely restricted.
    • some movements may not be permitted.
    • there is a significant cost associated with the application.
    • an application fee cannot be refunded for any application.
  • The application will require substantial time to complete.
    • The system will timeout after one hour and your changes will not be automatically saved. We recommend saving your changes regularly.
    • You will need to attach documents to support your application, including details of finances and insurance coverage.

A few things to note before you start:

  • Be prepared with your supporting documents
    • Please review the information regarding Australia’s hazardous waste permits on the Department’s website. This site will provide you with a list of what documents you will need and why.
  • Submitting an application and paying the fee does not mean that a permit will be granted by the decision-maker.
    • Permit applications are complex and are assessed against several matters the decision-maker must consider under Australian hazardous waste legislation.
    • Other countries affected by the proposed movement have the right to refuse the movement.
  • Australian hazardous waste permits are valid for a period of up to 12 months and can involve a number of shipments.
  • Application fees cover the assessment of an application. They will not be refunded if the permit is refused.
  • If you are uncertain about whether you require a permit:

Submitted application files

  • The information you include as part of your online application will generate two PDF files that can be reviewed, printed and edited:
    • Application form – this form is used to assess your application by the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment.
    • Notification document – this form is used to assess your application by the Department and other countries involved in the proposed movement.

Hazardous Waste enquiries

If you are unsure about your need for a hazardous waste application or permit, submit a hazardous waste enquiry.


If you would like to make a credit card payment of a hazardous waste application or permit fee, please visit our Make a Payment page.

Further information

For further information regarding hazardous waste please visit the hazardous waste website.


Apply Enquire Register