Go to top of page

Permits at Uluru-Kata Tjuta

Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park is a Commonwealth reserve established under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (the EPBC Act) to manage the environment of the region for the benefit of all people, present and future. The Director of National Parks, also established under the EPBC Act, uses a permit system to help regulate some activities. Permits may be issued subject to conditions that help to identify, protect, conserve and manage biodiversity, heritage and other values of national parks. This is a system through which industry and the public can share in the responsibilities of managing and protecting the park.

When a permit is needed

All commercial film crews, still photographers, artists and sound recordists will need a permit to carry out commercial activities in the park. A commercial permit is also required to use an existing image of the park for a commercial purpose. This also applies to media outlets.

If you are covering 'news of the day' you may not need a permit. ‘News of the day’ is declared by the Director of National Parks from time to time when there is a fire or similar emergency event. It doesn’t include general items about events or the park. You must contact the park on +61 (0) 8 8956 1113 or the central media team on +61 (0) 2 6274 1643 to see if this applies to you.

Overseas applicants

Overseas film-makers, please note that the Migration Act 1958 requires you to obtain an appropriate visa. For further information visit www.immi.gov.au or email entertainment.visas@immi.gov.au to ascertain which visa is appropriate.

Commercial image capture guidelines

View the image capture guidelines for information on the Park’s World Heritage values.


Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park Media Officer
Phone: 08 8956 1113
Email: uluru.media@environment.gov.au

Apply Register